A Group of 3 Maui Boating Explorers left from Maui this past summer in search of some epic marine life in the Socorro islands. Being from Maui, that was a tall order, given the fact that we have an abundance of sea creatures in our waters. However, the waters off the coast of Baja California did not disappoint. We spend 10 days and 9 nights aboard the Rocio Del Mar.
The Rocio del Mar is extremely seaworthy and is approved by both the US Coast Guard and the Mexican Coast Guard. She is equipped with state-of-the-art electronics and all required safety equipment.
Our vessel is 110 ft long with a 25 ft beam.
Staterooms: 10 comfortable guest staterooms on two decks. All have private bathrooms with hot shower stalls, western style toilets, lavatories, and above height window. Each cabin is carpeted and air conditioned. There are room length windows with privacy curtains and convenient gear and clothes storage drawers beneath the beds. We recommend any private valuables be safely stored in the boat’s secure vault.
There are two staterooms on the second deck behind the bridge on the port and starboard side. Each features a full size lower bed and a single size bed on top with adjustable reading lights.
The spacious dining area is in the lower forward part of the boat to minimize any sense of movement during meals.
We will carefully select anchorages to minimize any wave action on the 200 ton stiff steel vessel while anchored for the night.
Oversize engines designed to operate at low working loads with high efficiency, producing less engine noise and vibration at normal cruising speed in the Socorro islands.
Deep V hull design and wave breaking bow knuckle to minimize surface wave action against the hull as the Rocio Del Mar moves forward through the Socorro sea.
Eight cabins on the main deck – four on the port and starboard side. 6 cabins feature two single beds with reading lights. 2 cabins feature a double bed with lots of storage space underneath. Adjustable reading lights to focus the illumination without disturbing your cabin-mate.
- Salon is comfortable with sofas, a TV, a computer table set up, books and DVD’s
- Huge, well organized dive deck with gear storage for all your diving equipment
- Spacious camera table with lots of power outlets
- Dive platform for easy access to the inflatable pangas
- 2 Rinse showers on the dive platform
- 2 on-board compressors
- Large shaded sundeck with lawn chairs – perfect for relaxing between dives
- 2 inflatable pangas with drivers to get you to and from the dive sites – each has a sturdy ladder for the safety and comfort of our divers
- All power is 110 (just like the US)
- Wet gear storage is available on the diving deck, so there is no need to lug gear or clutter your stateroom with it
- Smoking is allowed only on the top sun deck.